How To Tell If An Elgin Pocket Watch Is Gold? – Basic Facts
They say gold watches don’t get old. That’s why many people invest in them. Some even choose to wear them as a symbol of status. But how can you to tell if an Elgin pocket watch is gold? You will learn how in this article.
Tips in Checking
You might be wondering how to tell if an Elgin pocket watch is gold. The skill will help ward off scammers. You sure don’t want to get a false hope, so here is a checklist below to help you determine if your pocket watch is made of gold.
- Check the serial number. Every Elgin pocket watch comes with two serial numbers. This is the first step in knowing your watch’s authenticity. You will see the first serial number on the outer case of the pocket watch and one inside the watch. The inner serial number tells about the year your watch is produced or made.
- Look at the markings. You can see a visible marking engraved inside the back cover of your pocket watch. The marking will indicate the grade of your pocket watch gold. It can be either 18K, 14K, or 10K.
The Value of an Elgin Pocket Watch
You are done in determining the authenticity of your pocket watch. Perhaps, you might be asking yourself now - how much is the worth of my pocket watch? Well, who wouldn’t do if it’s legit, right?
If you’re planning to sell it or you are just curious, feel free to know that the value of your pocket watch depends on the year it was made as well as the grade of the gold material used. Some collectors pay attention to a significant model or the age of the watch.
Usually, Elgin pocket watches are sold from 200 to 5,000 dollars. But again, the price depends on the material and grade of your gold pocket watch. Below are the markings that will help you determine how old your pocket watch is:
- Star Marking – This model was created in August of 1933.
- DuraPower Marking – This model was created in 1946.
- Shockmaster Marking – This model was created in 1951.
- DuraBalance Marking – This model was created in 1958.
The Gold Content in the Pocket Watch
You know about the value of a pocket watch, but how about the gold content? Just so you know, the weight of your pocket watch is not parallel to how much gold is in there. Some people think it is, but it is not!
That is the total weight of your watch, but your pocket patch has different parts that contribute to the weight such as the hands, crystal, crown, case, base, frame. So if you are to ask how much gold is in there, it would be about 31.97% of the total weight of your pocket watch.
Authenticity and Quality Matter
Because of the growing number of scammers, sometimes it is hard to know which is genuine and which is not, like the Elgin pocket watches. These watches are highly sought in the market that is why there are many people making deals. But now that we have given you the guide on how to tell if Elgin pocket watch is gold, you can be confident of the quality and authenticity of your watch.