How To Open A Watch Back: Easy Do It Yourself Methods
To replace the battery of your watch or make a minor repair, you need to open its case back. Before doing so, you need to check what type of backing your watch have and what tool is appropriate to open it.
Here, we will give you a guide on how to open watch back.
Types of Watch Backs
There are different types of watch case backing. Let us briefly discuss each:
- Snap off case back. A variety of watches—inexpensive and luxurious—have backs that snap on (and off) and covers the internal movement. It is the most common type of watch back in the market.
- Notched case back. Generally, it has six notches that run around the external part of the case back. The notches have different sizes and shapes (square and round).
- Screw off case back. Watches with this type of case back have a series of edges, threads, or grooves around the outer edges of the cover.
How To Open Watch Back
We will give you tips on how to open a watch according to the type of case back.
Open A Snap-off Watch Back
Look at the back of your case. Your watch back is snap off if there is a narrow gap or indentation where you can insert a thin tool to pry it off. For this, you will need a magnifier and a bench knife.
- If possible, remove the band from the case.
- Put the watch case face down in the palm of your hand and look for a small indentation at the back. You may use a magnifier to find it easily.
- Once you find the gap, hold the case firmly with your one hand in a way that you can access the gap easily with your knife.
- Insert the blade of the knife into the gap.
- Pop open the cover by gently pushing the blade in upward motion. Work around the cover to gently remove the backing.
How To Open Notched Case Back
To open this type of watch, you will need a three or two-prong opener wrench. Tools to open this type of case back come in different sizes and thickness. Check if your tool is appropriate to the size and shape of your case notches.
To open, insert the pegs of the tool into the notches located at the watch back. Then, twist gently to open.
How To Open Screw Off Case Back
You need to open a screw off case back with twist-off case openers. Choose the tool with a bezel that fits the grooves of your case back.
Snap the tool on the case back, twist, and open. You may need to clamp it down and use a watch block to secure the watch.
Carefully open your watch backs to avoid scratching the surface or cause damage to internal parts. You may bring your watch to professional servicing if it needs repair. There, you will see how to open watch back as done by an expert.